Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil.
尼尔:大家好,欢迎来到地道英语节目,我是尼尔。Li: And I'm Li. Neil what are you drinking? Whatever it is, it sounds very refreshing.
李:我是李。尼尔你在喝什么?不管是什么,听上去非常清爽。Neil: Ah yes it is, Li. It's so fruity and refreshing.
尼尔:李,这的确很清爽。这饮料水果味浓郁,而且很清爽。
Li: What kind of juice is it?
李:这是什么果汁?Neil: Oh it's not juice, it's a smoothie.
尼尔:哦,这不是果汁,这是水果奶昔。Li: A smoothie?
李:水果奶昔?Neil: Yeah, a smoothie. The fruit is blended rather than squeezed.
尼尔:对,水果奶昔。水果是搅拌在一起而不是榨出来的。Li: Oh I see. A smoothie is a fruit drink made from blended fruit rather than squeezed fruit.
李:我明白了。水果奶昔就是一种水果饮料,它是由各种水果搅拌而成,而不是榨果汁。Neil: And it sometimes has ice, ice cream or yoghurt in it too. Try it Li.
尼尔:有时还可以加冰,冰淇淋或者酸奶。李,你尝尝。Li: Oh thank you. Oh it's delicious.
李:哦,谢谢你。哇,真好喝。Neil: How would you describe the texture?
尼尔:你要怎么形容这口感?Li: Well, it's very thick and… smooth.
李:嗯,味道浓郁又顺滑。Neil: Exactly. And that's where the name comes from.
尼尔:非常准确。这就是这种饮料得名的原因。Li: It's called a smoothie because its texture is smooth.
李:它称之为smoothie是因为它的口感很顺滑。A: Right, who wants a drink? I fancy a cup of coffee.
A:好,谁想喝饮料?我想喝杯咖啡。B: Yeah but it's way too hot for coffee. Can I have one of those smoothies?
B:好,不过现在喝咖啡太热了。我能要一杯水果奶昔吗?A: Oh that's an idea. I think I'll have one too, if I have enough money.
A:这是个好主意。如果我的钱够的话,我也想来杯水果奶昔。Neil: Well, it's all gone now.
尼尔:都喝完了。Li: Oh that's a shame.
李:真遗憾。Neil: Yes… No more smoothie... Shame…
尼尔:是啊……没有水果奶昔了……好遗憾……Li: Oh well.
李:好吧。Neil: (Pause) Li, have you had your hair done? It really suits you.
尼尔:(停顿)李,你去做头发了吗?这发型太适合你了。Li: Oh thanks, Neil.
李:哦,谢谢你,尼尔。Neil: No, really, really. It suits your face. Actually, you're looking great at the moment. I like that outfit.
尼尔:真的很适合。非常适合你的脸型。实际上,你现在看起来棒极了。我喜欢你的着装。Li: Oh Neil…
李:哦,尼尔……Neil: I'd really love another smoothie, but I've just run out of money.
尼尔:我很想再喝杯水果奶昔,可是我没钱了。Li: Don't worry, I'll get you one.
李:别担心,我会给你买一杯。Neil: Oh thanks! I can be such a smoothie sometimes…
尼尔:谢谢你!看来有时我可以是这么精明圆滑的人……Li: Yes you can… Smoothie is not just a word for a drink.
李:对,你可以……smoothie这个词并不仅仅是一种饮料。Neil: That's right. It's also an adjective describing a man who can persuade people to do things for him by being charming.
尼尔:没错。这个词可以用做形容词,形容一个人善于施展魅力,甜言蜜语让别人为自己做事。Li: I wondered why he was paying me so many compliments.
李:我还在想他为什么要这么费劲的赞美我呢。Neil: A smoothie for the smoothie, please Li.
尼尔:李,请给我这个精明的人买杯水果奶昔。Li: OK, OK…
李:好,好……重点讲解:
1. rather than
而非;胜于;而不是;
eg. Her speech was memorable for its polemic rather than its substance.
她的演说之所以令人难忘,不是因其内容而是因其辩论方法。
eg. He is a man who will spoil rather than accomplish things.
他这个人成事不足,坏事有余。
2. at the moment
此刻;目前;眼下;
eg. Something seems to be preoccupying her at the moment.
她此刻若有所思。
eg. I'm really pressed for cash at the moment.
眼下我真的缺钱。
3. run out of
用完;耗尽;
eg. He has run out of food; his children are hungry.
他家揭不开锅了,孩子们都等着吃饭。
eg. We airfreight the shipment because our agent has run out of stork.
我们空运了这批货物,是因为我们的代理商已用完库存了。