情景对话:
A: David is very careful about his money.
戴维花钱很仔细。
B: He can make use of his money.
一分钱也不会乱花。
A: When you go out with him, you cannot hear him.
和他一块出去,你会受不了的。
B: Why?
为什么?
A: When he's spending the money, he calculates it to a hair.
他花钱的时候要数得分毫不差。
B : This is also the way his dad does.
和他爸爸一个样。
A: That's amazing.
真是不可思议。
一, 词海拾贝
to a hair:丝毫不差地,精确地,完全地
e.g. The writer has hit off the character of a miser to a hair.
这位作家把守财奴的性格描绘得惟妙惟肖。
e.g. The vocation will fit you to a hair.
这个职业对你完全适合。
e.g. I don't know his age but I think I could guess it to a hair.
我不知道他的年龄,但我想可以完全猜得出来。
二, 语汇积累
1. make use of:利用,使用
e.g. They pretended they could not make any proposal because it might be made use of against them.
他们托词说他们没有什么主意,因为他们怕我也许会利用他们所出的主意来加害于他们。
e.g. It is not just because the stars look good. I think it is mainly because the business enterprises have made use of the consumers' psychology which is trustworthy of the stars.
不仅仅是因为明星长得好看,我觉得主要是商家利用了普通消费者信赖明星的心理。
2. be careful about:小心注意……,对……认真,对……一点也不马虎
e.g. You must be careful about what you say or do.
你一言一行都必须谨慎小心。
e.g. Be careful ( about / of ) what you say to him.
对他说话可得小心。
e.g. He flipped his sleeves up under his coat, said, "Yeah, Gatsby's very careful about women.” (盖茨比)
他把衬衣袖口缩回到上衣下面去,说道:“不错,盖茨比在女人方面非常规矩。”
e.g. You ought to be more careful about who you've been knocking about with.
你应当注意自己同哪些人交往。
e.g. Be very careful about any offers that involve your coming to a meeting or having someone visit your house.
如有人以赠送礼物为由要求你前去赴会或提出登门拜访时就应高度警惕。
三, 短句口译
1. 中:他花钱很仔细。
英:He is careful about money.
2. 中:表示某人做事和另外一个人一样。
英:This is also the way someone does.