Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!"Headlights" are the two bright lights in front of a car.
前灯指的是车前面两盏明亮的灯。But what does a deer have to do with headlights?
但是为什么鹿会与前灯有关呢?
I cannot believe you got to meet Hillary Clinton! That must have been so incredible.
我不敢相信你竟然见到了希拉里·克林顿!那简直太不可思议了。I know. It was so incredible that I couldn't say anything!
是啊。简直太不可思议了,我话都说不出来了!I was like a deer caught in headlights!
我当时都愣住了!Well, that's understandable. But maybe next time you won't have that "deer in the headlights" look!
好吧,可以理解。但是下回你可能就不会手足无措了!If a deer is on the road at night and a car is coming, it stands still, doing nothing,
如果某个夜晚,鹿在路上走着的时候正逢一辆车行驶过来,它会站在原地不动,until its eyes can adjust to the bright lights.
直到它的眼睛适应了车前灯强烈的光。This, unfortunately, puts the deer in danger.
这种情况会很不幸地将鹿至于危险当中。If someone says you look like a "deer in the headlights"
如果某个人用这个短语来形容你,it means you look frozen with surprise,shock, or maybe even fear.
这意味着你可能因为惊讶、震惊或是恐惧而呆住了。And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》!